I use the word Vanity loosly here, it basically creates a nice short URL such as http://SHORT that will redirect to http://sharepoint/sites/mine/SitePages/something%20Very%20Long%20pagename.aspx – this is all done through IIS so you will need access to all web front end servers that are serving your SharePoint farm.
- Logon to web front end servers
- Launch IIS Manager
- Create directory within C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories
- Create new web site within IIS
- Edit permissions of site so Authenticated users have the default permissions
- Create DNS entry and point to relevant load balancer / server
- Create HTTP redirect on the site
this doesn’t need an IIS reset and can be done without SharePoint going down.